Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chichen Itza

So Chichen Itza is pretty cool... I thought the trip was overpriced and the tour-guide moved @ what could best be described as a glacial pace... Sadly, I think that was just fine for most folks... But for me... if I take a 3-4 hour bus ride one way up into the jungle I wanna see everything humanly possible.

That having been communicated I took a TON of photographs and purchased some souvenirs from some Mayans. The Mayans were pretty stellar mathematicians as it so happens... The Temple @ Kulkulkan (or El Castillo) is ostensibly the Mayan calendar built out of stone (as well put by the folks who wrote lonely planet mexico). There are 90 steps on each of the north, south, east, and west facing steps and north on this pyramid is magnetic north. For real.

During the spring and autumn equinoxes the north and south facing steps (respectively) appear to have a serpent ascending, descending down them. This happens between 3:30 - 4:45 PM on the dot... By 5 PM it's GONE. How cool is that? When you consider when this temple was built (900 AD) then you realize how truly remarkable it was.

On the way to Chichen Itza we stopped @ one of the 10,000 cenotes (underground rivers) for a jump in and a swim. This specific one is less than 3 kms away from Chichen Itza and is pretty remarkable. I can't wait to put the pictures up on the internet.

No comments: